Financial Matters


Benefits information can be accessed from the Isle of Man Department of Social Security. See Social Security benefits which includes the sections Illness and Disability, Grants and Loans and Families and Children. Within the appropriate section, choose a page on the left for your situation to access information on disability benefits.

Benefits and services of interest here relating to disability include:

  • Attendance Allowance.
  • Blue Badge Scheme for disabled parking.
  • Carers Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance.
  • Glasses under the voucher scheme.
  • All Work Test.
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
  • Incapacity Benefit (including permitted and voluntary work)

Veterans Welfare Service deal with all Pensions relating to service in the Armed Forces and any welfare needs (Tel: 687047). This charity is based in Markwell House but is not Government-run

If you think that you or someone you care for needs the services of a social worker to help you work out your entitlement, you can ask your doctor for a referral or ring direct on 686179 (This number is to be used for new referrals only. If you are already in contact with a Social Worker, please contact them direct.)

The office is open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday – Thursday, 9.00 am to 4.30 pm on Friday.

The Manx Citizens Advice Bureau also offer help with benefit forms.

Benefit Explanations, Disputes and Appeals.

Social Security, Isle of Man produce a leaflet, reference number GL24 (IOM) indicating what to do if you think their benefit decision is wrong. It covers:

  • Asking for an explanation
  • Disputing a decision about your benefit
  • Appealing against a decision about your benefit

These can be found at the Social Security Office. The information in this leaflet can be provided in large print or on audio tape on request.


You may be able to get advice from an advocate under the Legal Advice and Assistance Scheme.
You can find out about this from an advocate. But if you decide to use an advocate, the Scheme does not cover the cost of an advocate to help you at the hearing. You cannot get money for things like advocates fees from the Department of Health and Social Care.

See for more information.
A number of law firms are available on the island to offer free representation by articled clerks (people who are training to be Manx Advocates) for people who appeal to the tribunal. For a list of these firms contact the Law Society tel: 662910 or email:

General Financial Advice

Crossroads Care provides an excellent section on financial matters on its website. This is written for the UK see See also for local services.

Add yourself to the Manx Gas Vulnerable/Low Income Households list and get 2.5% discount even if you are not on Direct Debit. Contact Maggie Sullivan on 644481 for more information.

Manx Utilities have a Priority Care scheme for those who are infirm, disabled, chronically sick, on low income support, with poor sight and/or hearing difficulties and those in need of special attention – for example with language difficulties. One of their services offers help and advice on ways of paying and/or understanding your energy bills and understanding your meter. For further information contact the Customer Services Team by tel: 687687 or email:

The Manx Credit Union offer savings schemes and loans are expected to be available shortly. They also offer information on budgeting and signposting other money management tools. The office is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays 10am-2pm, and 5-7pm on Thursdays. Find it at Nadine House, 13 North Quay, Douglas. Tel:619459 email info@mcu or visit for more information.

The Continence Advisor advises on the most suitable approach to a continence issue. Supplies are delivered to the home. There is no charge for this service (6.11.17). Tel: 693551 for more information.

Hearing aids can be available through the Audiology clinic after a hearing test that indicated that a hearing aid is needed. Tel: 650407 for general enquiries. This service is accessed through health professionals eg your GP or hospital Consultant.

Financial help may be available for glasses through the Vouchers for Glasses scheme, accessed through the Department of Social Security. Check out NHS vouchers for Glasses to see if you qualify.

Social Services and aids and equipment

Social Services can help with the installation of a ramp, lift or special equipment,for example a hoist needed in the home for convenience, comfort or safety. They may make a charge for doing this under the Chronically Sick or Disabled Persons Act.

See -support/additional-help/Home alterations